Raspberry Pi is an inexpensive single-board computer that is slightly bigger than a credit card. It can do anything the conventional computers can do, like surfing the internet, playing games, coding, making spreadsheets, etc.
These devices were developed to promote basic computer science, but they have become popular outside the classrooms. Hobbyists are using them in various ways, for example, robotics, home automation, and emulator projects.
The best part is that Raspberry Pi supports various operating systems such as Windows, Ubuntu, and other specialized options. However, Raspberry Pi OS (previously known as Raspbian) is the default OS, based on the Debian Linux distribution. Hence, it is effortless to install a VPN app, which will offer protection for the web traffic routing through the device.
In this guide, we have gathered the top 5 best VPNs for Raspberry that you can use. Also, you’ll learn why you need a VPN on Raspberry Pi and much more.
Quick list of the top Raspberry Pi VPNs
Are you short on time? Then, check out this summary of the best VPNs for Raspberry VPNs on the market.
- NordVPN – This is our number one choice for Raspberry Pi. It is an excellent service, despite the low-priced packages. The Linux client lacks the graphical user interface (GUI) but is very easy to use once you install it. In addition, most of the servers provide phenomenal speeds to stream high-quality videos and download torrents unrestricted.
- ProtonVPN – It is a premium VPN service that offers a free version. Even though the free plan has limited features, it is better than VPNs that provide completely free services. Fortunately, you can access the rest of the features if you upgrade to paid subscriptions.
- Surfshark – Another budget-conscious VPN for Raspberry Pi. However, the Linux app doesn’t have a GUI but is effortless to use. Besides supporting Linux, the VPN offers native apps for other platforms like Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. Fortunately, you can connect as many devices as you like.
- IPVanish – A trustworthy VPN for Raspberry Pi. It has a modest server network and uses advanced features to maintain your security. Unfortunately, it is based in the US, which is not suitable for privacy. However, the provider follows a strict no-logs policy, so your information will remain completely anonymous.
- Private Internet Access – This is the only provider on this list whose Linux client has a GUI, making it easy to install the VPN. Also, it has the most extensive server network, and the packages are reasonably priced.
How to use a VPN with Raspberry Pi?
- Choose a trustworthy VPN service that supports Raspberry Pi or Linux. Our top recommendation is NordVPN.
- Select your preferred package and subscribe. Most VPN providers, including NordVPN, offer multiple plans to cater to different budget points. Usually, longer subscriptions have better discounts.
- Download and install the VPN software using the terminal.
- Launch the VPN and connect using the terminal.
The best VPNs for Raspberry – The detailed list
After thorough research and testing, we present you with the best Raspberry Pi VPNs. These five options below have proven to offer solid performance and protection.
Our number 1 choice for Raspberry Pi users as it offers a dedicated VPN client for the device. Plus, its resilient security features and top-notch performance make it a must-have for all.
- Offers a Raspberry Pi-Linux app
- Reliable support
- Great privacy and security
- The Linux app doesn’t have GUI
NordVPN is a secure and well-established VPN service for Raspberry Pi. It has a long-standing reputation for providing the utmost privacy, security, and data protection.
The VPN has more than 5,000 high-quality servers in over 60 countries. Because of its impressive unblocking capabilities, you will be able to unblock content and gaming apps globally. In addition, it offers unlimited data so you can stream HD movies and TV shows on streaming sites like Netflix.
Accessing the internet without sufficient protection can be risky. NordVPN will secure your web connections with military-grade AES 256-bit encryption, blocking third parties from accessing your traffic. Besides, it also uses an automatic kill switch to prevent your data from leaking from the encrypted tunnel.
There are two main ways you can install NordVPN on your Raspberry; either through the Linux App or by downloading and installing the Debian package. The VPN is also compatible with other platforms such as Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. Furthermore, it allows you to connect up to 6 devices on a single subscription.
NordVPN delivers blazing-fast speed and will handle virtually any task. So, you will be able to stream quality content and play data-intensive games like Fortnite and Minecraft.
All the plans are reasonably priced and have a 30-day money-back guarantee. Fortunately, it has a help center with tons of resources and around-the-clock support via the 24/7 support chat, email, and phone support.