The first thing striking your mind to protect online security would surely be a VPN. Of course, you need to hide your IP address before applying any other privacy methods. But if you keenly review your browsing requirements, you’ll find that you need a robust tool – NordVPN, maybe?
That’s the question I’ll answer in this NordVPN review as I tested the app myself.
While NordVPN holds a pretty good reputation in the market for its premium security, top-notch privacy, and blazing-fast speeds. Yet, this review sheds light on the minute details of this service. It’ll help you decide whether NordVPN deserves to be the leader of the VPN realm.
NordVPN – Quick look
|Pricing||$3.09-$11.99/month (based on the duration of the subscription)|
|Country Locations||Available in 59 countries|
|Number of Servers||Over 5500 servers globally|
|Compatible devices||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, routers, and other devices like gaming consoles and Smart TVs|
|VPN Protocols||OpenVPN, IKEv2/IPSec, NordLynx (WireGuard)|
|Data Encryption||OpenVPN (AES-256-GCM, 4096-bit DH key)IKEv2/IPsec (AES-256-GCM, SHA2-384, 3072-bit DH keys)|
|Unblocks Streaming Sites||Yes (Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Rai TV, and more)|
|Support Torrenting||Yes (fast-speed torrent downloads)|
|Works in China and alike||Yes (obfuscated servers)|
|Support||24/7 live chat support, FAQs, troubleshooting guides, and email|
|Refund Policy||30-day money-back guarantee|
- Boasts blazing-fast speeds across most servers and offers stable connections.
- The Double VPN feature works great to hide users’ original IP addresses without much compromise on speed.
- Ideal for unblocking geo-restricted content and streaming libraries. NordVPN seamlessly unblocked our desired content libraries on Netflix, Crackle, and Hulu during our tests.
- Quick-to-install VPN clients are available for all major devices, including Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, routers, Smart TVs, and more.
- Multiple configuration options offer superior customizability for privacy freaks.
- RAM-based server network ensures no user data is ever stored.
- Responsive 24/7 customer support with knowledgeable agents.
- Takes a bit longer to connect on distant servers.
- New users may find the bunch of options overwhelming.
NordVPN is also one of the oldest VPN providers in the market.
According to their website, the service emerged in 2012 by four friends aiming to develop something that protects the public from the growing internet censorship. Hence, NordVPN surfaced online as a standalone app with just one server and support for Windows only.
With time, the app became popular, grew its customer base, and expanded its compatibility with other devices.
And today, NordVPN is one of the leading VPN services, with over 14 million customers (according to the website).
The most attractive thing about this service, which undoubtedly contributed to its popularity, is its respect for users’ privacy. It is evident from the fact that the service is based in Panama – a privacy-friendly region with no mandatory data retention laws. Also, it’s not even distantly related to any of the 14-Eyes alliance countries. Thus, even the governments cannot push the authorities to hand over any data (unless extremely needed).
Recently, the parent firm behind NordVPN, NordSecurity, joined hands with a like-minded provider, Surfshark, to jazz up the operations of the two. Both firms reiterated their robust stance on customers’ data security and privacy while pledging to provide better services.
Amidst the ongoing mergers and acquisitions in the cybersecurity industry, this move is no surprise. Instead, finding two privacy-savvy VPN providers merging for users’ privacy is soothing.
Aside from privacy, NordVPN also offers numerous great security features that give users a safer and more anonymous browsing experience. This extensive NordVPN review elaborates on this tool’s significant features.