If you are a Canadian expatriate or just traveling abroad, a Canadian IP address will be beneficial. While multiple methods exist, the best (most reliable and safe) way to change your IP address to a Canadian one is by using a virtual private network (VPN).
When you connect to a Canadian server, the VPN will spoof your location and assign you a Canadian IP address. This will enable you to access geo-restricted sites such as Netflix Canada, CTV, DAZN, TSN direct (and more), as well as banking and all other apps. Besides, it will also encrypt your data and traffic to keep you safe online.
A quick guide on how to get a Canadian IP address
Are you short on time? Then, follow these quick steps to acquire a Canadian IP address and access anything you want in Canada:
- Select and subscribe to a reliable VPN. This post features the three most reliable providers for getting a Canadian IP (based on extensive tests and research); our number one recommendation is NordVPN, though.
- Download and install the VPN app compatible with your device.
- Connect to a Canadian server from the list of available server locations in the VPN app.
- That’s it, you are now all set to access Canadian geo-blocked sites and apps.
If you want to temporarily use a Canadian IP address, you can take advantage of NordVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee. It is a policy that allows you to use the service and get your full money back at the end.
Why do you need a Canadian IP address
The key reason to get a Canada IP location is to access the region’s local content abroad. That’s because, while you can continue to stream the internet anywhere in the same way, you can’t access some platforms airing location-based content. So, for instance, you can’t watch your favorite Canadian TV shows or movies elsewhere unless you spoof your online location as Canada.
Nonetheless, that’s not the only reason to change your IP country to Canada. Some users outside the Canadian region also need to spoof their locations to avail themselves of the perks offered there. For example, students, employees, and businesspersons may want to change their IP address to access the required content. Similarly, people may also need to change their online location to Canada to buy goods from the local online markets.
In short, the main reason generating the need for you to get a Canada IP is to break free of the content restrictions. Whether it’s a streaming site, an educational platform, an online store, an online banking service, or any other web platform, limiting its benefits to Canadian users is frustrating for those outside the region. As a free internet user, you deserve unrestricted access to the internet. And so, you are justified to use a VPN to get a Canadian IP.
Best VPNs for a Canadian IP address
Not all VPN services available are reliable. Some have inferior encryption and can easily compromise your security. Others may log users’ information or are located in a jurisdiction with questionable privacy laws.
That is why, after extensive research and testing, here we list the best VPNs to get a Canadian IP address. The providers on this list have met the following criteria to stand out as the best Canada VPNs:
- A massive network with servers spread across the world, including Canada
- A high-security level with dependable features such as AES 256-bit encryption and kill switch
- Reliable and consistent speeds for seamless streaming, gaming, and torrenting
- Do not retain any identifiable information such as IP address, timestamps, or browsing history
- Compatibility across all major devices including Windows, Android, macOS, and iOS
- Trustworthy, responsive, and knowledgable customer support
A powerful VPN to get a Canadian IP address as it offers over 480 servers from 3 Canadian cities. It is easy to install, set up, and connect to a robust server with a Quick-Connect feature.
- Focus on security and privacy
- Servers in 3 Canadian locations
- Unmatched server network
- The desktop app is bit clumsy
NordVPN is the most extensive network on this list, with over 5200 servers in 60 countries. Like Surfshark, it also has servers in Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal to give you a Canadian IP address. Remarkably, the company does not have virtual servers and only operates physical servers.
While some VPNs support P2P sharing on all their servers, NordVPN has specifically optimized servers for torrenting. These servers will give you better speeds to allow accessing BitTorrent or uTorrent without any issues.
You can take advantage of the obfuscated servers if you live in a country with heavy censorship like China. They will obscure your VPN traffic to make it look like you are browsing without a VPN.
Accessing the dark web requires an extra security layer. Most ISPs will flag your traffic or alert the authorities if they notice that you are on the dark web. Hence, NordVPN offers Onion over VPN servers that will protect your activities.