In fact, several cybersecurity audits have found that Windows is vulnerable to malware and hackers. Although the company has worked hard to improve its latest Windows 10, there are still some safety concerns. That is why using a virtual private network (VPN) is recommended. It will encrypt your traffic and pass it through encrypted tunnels for safety.
This guide lists the top ten best Windows VPNs, why you need a VPN for Windows, factors to consider when choosing a VPN, and much more.
A quick summary of the top 10 VPNs for Windows
- ExpressVPN – It boasts high speeds, incredible unblocking capabilities, a wide range of security and privacy features.
- NordVPN – Our top recommendation for Windows users. Offers fast speeds with watertight security and a zero-logs policy.
- Surfshark – Low-cost option for Windows, unblocks major streaming sites, unlimited simultaneous connections.
- CyberGhost – Extremely easy to use, massive server network, optimized servers for streaming, torrenting, and gaming.
- IPVanish – Strong security, unlimited simultaneous connections, unrestricted bandwidth, a transparent no-logs policy.
- Windscribe – 10GB free monthly data, in-built malware protection, military-grade security, R.O.B.E.R.T. adblocker.
- Tunnelbear – Windows TCP Override, 500MB free monthly data, robust security, bypasses censorship.
- Hotspot Shield – Free Windows app, great speeds, 500MB free data per day, works with Kodi and offers advanced security.
- ProtonVPN – Unlimited free data, zero-logs policy, perfect forward secrecy, automatic protection, unblocks Netflix.
- Hide.me –Unrestricted bandwidth, military-grade encryption, support torrenting, 10GB free monthly data.
In-depth analysis of the best Windows VPNs
Apart from its resilient services, premium security, stealth technology, and blazing fast speed, ExpressVPN also excels at offering dedicated, user-friendly PC apps for Windows users.
- Excellent Windows client
- Top-notch security and privacy
- User-friendly and swift installation
- It does not offer an ad blocker
Next on our list of top Windows VPNs is ExpressVPN. It is the fastest VPN for Windows. This is a jack of all trades; you can use it to bypass geo-restrictions, stream, torrent, and play games securely.
ExpressVPN’s Windows desktop client is feature-filled and intuitive, with some features not found in the mobile apps. It also has a macOS client as well as Android and iOS apps. On top of that, the VPN is compatible with a wide variety of router firmware. This will help you protect all the internet-enabled devices in your household, including P.C., laptops, consoles, and T.V.s.
ExpressVPN operates over 3,000 servers in 94 countries. The majority of the servers are in the US and the UK, although other locations have multiple servers as well. This means you are likely to get a closer server for better speeds.
According to our recent speed tests of top VPNs, ExpressVPN came second after NordVPN. We connected to a server closer to our office, and our speeds dropped by only 4%. The Smart Location feature will automatically connect you to the most optimal server available. You will still get consistent speeds even when you connect to international servers.
Accessing Netflix US will be easy as it has multiple servers there. It can also circumvent geo-restrictions of other popular streaming sites such as Amazon Prime Video, Disney, Hulu, and more. You’ll watch in full H.D. without buffering as most of the servers offer sufficient speeds.
ExpressVPN allows P2P sharing across its entire server network. The provider doesn’t cap bandwidth and data, so you’ll torrent unrestricted. It is compatible with uTorrent and other torrenting clients to offer complete anonymity.
We have seen that ExpressVPN caused only a 4% drop in our internet connection speed. Although many factors can affect your speeds, this is a high-quality service that will handle any game. Try using servers closer to your location for better gaming speeds. This means you’ll play in ultra H.D. as if you are not using a VPN.
The VPN will maintain your security with AES 256-bit encryption alongside SHA-512 HMAC authentication, AES-256 cipher, and a 4096-bit R.S.A. key. There is also perfect forward secrecy that will assign you a new encryption key each time you start a session for anonymity.
ExpressVPN also offers multiple security protocols, such as OpenVPN, L2TP/IPsec, and PPTP. OpenVPN is the default protocol, but the VPN will automatically choose the best protocol depending on your connection. With it, you can rest assured you have a secure VPN for Windows 7, 8, and 10 by your side.
One of the most striking features is split tunnelling. It allows you to select the part of your traffic you’d like to encrypt and leave the rest intact. This means you will be browsing locally and through the VPN simultaneously. For example, you can access your online bank locally and encrypt your torrent traffic.