Torrenting has amassed a lot of popularity in the recent past. It is a peer-to-peer (P2P) network where users connect and share files instead of relying on a centralized server. Each device on the network acts as a mini-server, which helps to reduce the network load considerably.
While torrenting allows you to download and share files at incredible speeds, it also presents certain risks. The only way to download torrents safely is to use a VPN.
However, finding the best VPN for torrenting is a bit tricky as many services are not up to the task. Some don’t support torrenting, while others don’t put up necessary measures to prevent data leakage. That is why we researched and tested thoroughly to compile a list of the ten best VPNs for torrenting for you.
A quick summary of the best torrenting VPNs
- NordVPN – Our top pick for torrenting. It comes with fast-speed servers, a zero-log policy, P2P optimized servers.
- ExpressVPN – High speeds, Network Lock, keeps no logs. Easy to use apps, TrustedServer technology
- Surfshark – Low-cost VPN for torrenting, unlimited simultaneous connections, solid security, CleanWeb feature
- CyberGhost – P2P optimized servers, great connection speeds, boasts a massive server network, no-logs policy
- Private Internet Access (PIA) – Expansive server network, DNS leak protection, supports P2P sharing
- VyprVPN – P2P servers, WireGuard protocol, NAT firewall, AES 256-bit encryption, zero-logs policy
- IPVanish – Unlimited simultaneous connections, SugarSync storage, DNS leak protection, 30-day money-back guarantee
- ProtonVPN – Perfect forward secrecy, open-source apps, supports P2P sharing, DNS leak protection
- Ivacy – AES 256-bit encryption, OpenVPN protocol, kill switch, 30-day money-back guarantee
- PrivateVPN – P2P sharing, unlimited bandwidth, DNS leak protection, stealth mode, AES-bit encryption
Best VPNs for torrenting
It is difficult to get a reliable, fast, and safe VPN for torrenting, especially if it is the first time. After researching and testing over 150 VPNs, we found out that many can risk your privacy and affect speeds. However, these ten best VPNs for torrenting have passed our test, and you can use them for your P2P activities without worries.
This service provider addresses your torrenting needs by offering dedicated P2P-optimized servers. Just connect to one of them and enjoy speedy and anonymous torrenting.
- Advanced security and privacy features
- Speedy servers
- Allows P2P activity
- Too many options may confuse new users
NordVPN provides the best mixture of quality and cost and is our top pick for a torrent VPN. It offers fast speeds, solid-rock security, and is incredibly easy to use. The whole installation process will only take you less than 5 minutes to complete
Fortunately, most NordVPN servers are P2P optimized. The best part is that you can easily access the servers from the app sidebar. This will save you from going to the website to look for a server that allows P2P activity.
You can use the P2P server selection tool to connect to the fastest server based on your location automatically. We tested the feature and got superfast speeds of up to 63.87 Mbps. The drop in our base speed was only 3%. These servers are specially designed to provide better speeds while maintaining your privacy and security.
With more than 5,000 servers spread across 60 countries, you will be able to access blocked torrent websites. It has a SmartPlay feature that will help you to bypass all geo-blocks. The VPN also has servers in extremely restricted regions such as the UAE and Turkey. Unfortunately, it still uses hard drive storage on the servers instead of RAM.
NordVPN’s security is second to none. It uses AES 256-bit encryption to hide your torrenting activities. The encryption is so secure that no one can see what you are doing. It is strengthened with SHA2-384 authentication and a 2048-bit DH key for maximum protection.
The perfect forward secrecy (PFS) will assign you an encryption key every time you start a session. It makes you look like a new user each time you log on to NordVPN. This means that your activity and data from previous sessions will be unrelated to the current one. So, there would be no data to expose you if your torrenting connection is compromised.
The kill switch is a crucial feature when torrenting. It will automatically cut your traffic flow if the VPN connection drops to prevent revealing your activities and data. NordVPN also offers DNS/IPv6 leak protection to stop any accidental exposure of your IP address and DNS requests. It is safe to say that the provider shields your anonymity and ensures you are safe when torrenting.
NordVPN takes your security a step further with the double encryption feature. It routes your traffic through two servers instead of one for maximum protection.
There will be no single line to track your traffic since it bounces between servers in different locations. However, it might slightly slow your speeds. NordVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee tells a lot about the provider’s performance. That also means you can test it yourself risk-free.