Popcorn Time is an incredible site to stream a wide variety of content for free. However, behind the sleek interface, it is just a peer-to-peer (P2P) platform like BitTorrent. This means it can expose your IP address to other users on the network, which threatens your privacy. Also, you can get into trouble for watching copyrighted material.
Although Popcorn Time offers an inbuilt VPN, it is unjustifiably expensive, and there isn’t a guarantee that it maintains privacy and security. That’s why you need to install reliable and trustworthy third-party VPN services that support P2P connections.
In this article, we have shortlisted the best VPNs for Popcorn Time, why you need a VPN for Popcorn Time, VPNs to avoid, and much more.
Top VPNs for Popcorn Time – The quick list
Are you short on time to go through the whole guide? No problem. Here is a quick list of the best VPNs for Popcorn Time.
- NordVPN – Our top recommendation for Popcorn Time. It offers dedicated servers for P2P traffic with incredible speeds and solid security.
- ProtonVPN – This is a premium service that offers a free version. It supports P2P traffic and keeps your activities private with the no-logs policy.
- Surfshark – Provides unlimited simultaneous connections, unrestricted bandwidth and data, camouflage mode, and many other valuable features.
- ExpressVPN – It comes with super-fast servers, Trustedserver technology, automatic kill switch, DNS leak protection, and split tunneling.
- Windscribe – A Canadian-based premium VPN service with a free plan. It allows P2P connections on most of the servers and protects your data with robust security.
How to set up and use a Popcorn Time VPN
Getting started with a VPN for Popcorn Time is effortless, even for beginners. Just use the following steps to set it up, and you will be able to stream movies and TV shows anonymously.
- Choose a trustworthy VPN service, preferably from the list below. NordVPN is our top choice for Popcorn Time.
- Download and install the VPN software on your device.
- Select a package and subscribe.
- Start the VPN and choose a server to connect to.
- Launch Popcorn Time and start streaming.
The best Popcorn Time VPNs today – The detailed list
Many VPNs will mask your IP address and provide you with the necessary security features to protect your online traffic. However, not all services support P2P connections and offer sufficient speeds to stream videos. In the list below, we’ll do a comprehensive review of our best Popcorn Time VPNs.
Our top pick VPN for Popcorn Time. It offers robust security and super-fast speed that support lag-free HD streaming anywhere.
- P2p optimized servers
- Compatible with almost all devices
- Independently audited no-logs policy
- The desktop interface looks a bit dated
NordVPN has clinched our top spot for several reasons. First of all, it provides easy-to-use apps that work well with Popcorn Time. Secondly, the provider has a massive server network and offers advanced features at a reasonable cost.
It doesn’t allow torrenting on all the servers but instead has specifically optimized servers for P2P traffic. These servers provide fast and consistent speeds, so you’ll be able to use Popcorn Time without any issues. You can even download torrents on sites such as uTorrent and Vuze.
NordVPN has the most extensive network on this list, with over 5,000 servers in 60 countries. Therefore, you can connect a server in any country you want if Popcorn Time is unavailable in your region. Also, you can easily switch to another server if your connection becomes slow when streaming.
The VPN will secure your connections with military-grade encryption, which is virtually impossible to break. On top of that, it uses perfect forward secrecy (PFS) to change your encryption key every time you establish a connection. As a result, your ISP or any other third party won’t see what you are doing or access your information.
Moreover, it has effective DNS/IP/WebRTC leak protection to prevent your traffic from leaking accidentally, which can expose your identity. In addition, you will get an automatic kill switch that will cut your connection if the VPN stops working unexpectedly.
Another great feature that makes it perfect for Popcorn Time is the CyberSec adblocker. Besides eliminating ads, it will also prevent malware and trackers. Thankfully, it is easy to activate in the setting page by just pressing the toggle button.
The provider has a strict zero-logs policy and does not keep any logs. This means that it won’t record any sensitive data such as your IP address, payment details, or online activities. Also, NordVPN is based in Panama, which isn’t a signatory to the 5/9/14 Eyes Alliance.