Facebook is perhaps the biggest social media platform. It allows you to connect with friends and families from all over the world to communicate and share content.
Unfortunately, many schools, colleges, and workplaces block this app to make people concentrate and limit bandwidth use. Besides, some countries such as China and North Korea have banned it altogether. Other countries, such as the UAE and Qatar, have blocked Facebook Messenger.
The only way to get around the restrictions is to use a virtual private network (VPN). Unblocking websites, including social media sites like Facebook, is probably easier than you imagined with the right VPN application. It will hide your real location to enable you to access Facebook anywhere. The software will also encrypt your traffic flow to keep you safe.
This guide will show you how to unblock Facebook with a VPN, factors to consider when choosing an FB VPN, why you need a VPN, and much more.
Top Facebook VPNs (quick list)
Short on time? No problem. Here is a quick summary of the best VPNs to use with your favorite social networking site:
- NordVPN – Our number one pick for Facebook. A veteran low-cost VPN service provider that makes no compromises on security or speed. It boasts the biggest servers pool in the market, which is excellent for unblocking services and sites. Offers a 30-day no-questions-asked money-back guarantee.
- Private Internet Access (PIA) – A secure and capable privacy-oriented service packed with good unblocking abilities, P2P-friendly servers, and various expert-level features.
- Surfshark – This VPN is a great pick for the entire family as it offers unlimited simultaneous connections. Boasts added privacy features such as Camouflage mode.
- ExpressVPN – Another quality choice for Facebook. It has super-fast servers in more than 90 countries, enabling accessing geo-restricted platforms and censored services worldwide. Comes with excellent security features and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- IPVanish – A bit pricey compared to the rivals with the same features, but it’s a secure and speedy service you can rely on.
- CyberGhost – Another veteran in the VPN market that is easy-to-use and chares an affordable price. The provider boasts some of the fastest VPN servers around.
- VyprVPN – Possesses impressive unblocking capabilities with dependable apps and good server speeds.
- Windscribe – An amiable VPN service that represents good value and boasts a host of useful privacy-protecting extras. It offers one of the most generous free plans around.
- Tunnelbear -It might not be among the advanced VPNs in the world, but it gets the job done. It’s a simple and fast option suitable for inexperienced users. The service is independently audited every year.
- ProtonVPN – Brings many advantages such as open-source and audited apps, impressive security technologies, and unlimited free service on the table. Unblocks all the popular streaming services.
Best VPNs for Facebook today
If Facebook is unavailable in your region, you need to use a VPN to unblock it. We have compiled the best services based on the following criteria:
- Reliable and consistent speeds
- A large network with servers spread across the world
- Strong security and privacy features
- Compatibility with devices
- Ease of use
- Number of simultaneous connections
With thousands of servers from 60 regions across the globe, NordVPN never fails to provide you a working IP address for accessing Facebook anywhere.
- Unblocks Facebook seamlessly
- Fast and reliable speeds
- Supports stealth browsing in repressive regions
- The desktop app is difficult to navigate
NordVPN is our top choice when it comes to Facebook VPN. It has a massive server network with fast speeds to enhance your internet experience.
The SmartPlay feature will help you to unblock Facebook from anywhere. It combines DNS and VPN technology to bypass all geo-blocks while maintaining your security and privacy.
Besides Facebook, the VPN can unblock all major streaming services, including Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and others. We tested some of the servers and could access Netflix on most of them. You will get high-quality streams without buffering or lags.
NordVPN operates one of the largest networks in the industry. It has over 5,000 servers in 60 countries, with multiple servers in almost every country. That means you will always get consistent connections since the servers have less congestion. On the downside, it still uses hard drive storage on the servers instead of RAM.
The provider maintains your privacy and security with state-of-the-art features. First, there is the AES 256-bit encryption. It is reinforced with perfect forward secrecy, 2048-bit DH KEY, and SHA2-384 authentication. Secondly, it supports OpenVPN UDP/TCP and IKEv2/IPSec, which are top security protocols.
A kill switch is another essential feature offered by NordVPN. It will cut your traffic if the VPN connection drops to prevent leakage. The feature is automatically enabled on iOS devices, but you have to manually configure it on Android devices. On top of that, there is DNS/IPv6 leak protection to avoid accidental exposure of your DNS requests and IP address.
The provider does not store user activities and observes a no-logs policy regarding privacy. It is also registered in Panama, a privacy-friendly country, which is not part of the 14-Eyes alliance.
An ad blocker is a vital feature to safeguard you from trackers, phishing scams, and online profiling. It also blocks intrusive pop-up ads for a smooth streaming experience. NordVPN offers a CyberSec suite that prevents ads and malware. We tested it over 4 hours and did not experience ads, even on Facebook videos. Thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee, users can try it risk-free.