A vast percentage of the Swedish population has access to the internet. Also, there isn’t censorship, and residents enjoy high rates of online freedom. However, this does not mean that scammers and other cyber criminals won’t get to you.
Moreover, the country is a member of the 14 Eyes Alliance, so it has data retention laws. This means that your data is not safe from government authorities.
Considering these issues, using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) is becoming a necessity in Sweden. It will encrypt your web traffic, making it impossible for third parties to read your data. In addition, you’ll be able to unblock international content like Netflix US and Disney+. Furthermore, if you plan to travel abroad, you can stay in touch with your favorite Swedish movies and TV shows with a VPN.
In this article, we’ll show you why using a VPN is essential in Sweden, the very best providers, the services to avoid, and much more.
A quick rundown of the best Sweden VPNs
We will cover each VPN in detail later in the article, but if you are short on time right now, here is a summary of our top choices after rigorous testing and research:
- NordVPN – Our number one recommended VPN for Sweden. Remarkable unblocking capabilities, blazing speeds, Network Lock, AES 256-bit encryption, and 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark – Best budget-friendly Sweden VPN. Robust security and privacy features, unlimited simultaneous connections, bypasses most geo-restrictions, camouflage mode, and kill switch.
- ExpressVPN – Boasts affordable plans to browse with Swedish IP address. Massive server network, DNS leak protection, perfect forward secrecy, CyberSec ad blocker, zero-logs policy, P2P support, and 24/7 live chat.
- PrivateVPN – Best beginner-friendly VPN to unblock content in Sweden. Easy to install and use apps, the highest security levels, unlimited bandwidth, compatible with all major devices and multiple protocols.
- IPVanish – All-round VPN for Sweden. Unrestricted device connections, kill switch, no-logs policy, military-grade encryption, and cryptocurrency payment option.
What you should look for in a VPN for Sweden
Currently, there are thousands of VPN services due to their increased popularity, which makes it challenging to choose the right one. This section covers essential things you need to consider when choosing a VPN provider.
Security and privacy
A good VPN should secure your connections and maintain privacy. So, before subscribing to a VPN, take a look at the security features it has to offer. Some standard features include AES encryption, kill switch, malware protection, double VPN, etc. Conversely, the VPN should not store any information that can identify you.
Besides keeping you safe, the right VPN should bypass geo-restrictions seamlessly. When you connect to a server, the VPN should give you an IP address of the server location without failing. It will enable you to get around any geographic restriction and access streaming services like Netflix, Disney+, etc. Unfortunately, some VPNs have fewer IP addresses that are easily blocked. Therefore, choose a VPN with a large pool of IP addresses that are recycled regularly.
A general rule of thumb is that the more the servers, the better the speeds. This is because having the vast network allows a VPN to handle high traffic efficiently, so there’ll be less congestion. Also, you’ll have numerous options to choose from if one of your connections fails. In addition, with a massive network, you can access exclusive content from any country you want.
When connected to a VPN, the internet speed is slightly slower than using the direct connection. This is due to the encryption process and other additional security features. Regardless, choose a VPN that can maintain reliable and consistent speeds. You can check our VPN speed tests to see how different services perform. Finally, an important tip to improve your speed is connecting to a server close to your location.