Today, everyone has a bank account and a relevant banking branch nearby. Yet, most people try hard to spend as little time at banks as possible because it’s never a great experience. That’s why ATMs appeared first, followed by quick digital banking – thanks to the rapid internet revolution. Nonetheless, this banking evolution brings with it its own security risks, thus triggering the need to use a VPN for online banking.
But what are those risks? Where to find the best banking VPN? If that’s what you are tensed about, don’t worry. This article highlights all those details alongside listing the top banking VPN apps you can use today.
Top 5 internet banking VPNs – Quick list
If you want to ensure your safety and protect your interactions with your bank, you need a VPN service. There’s no way around that. If you are already sold on the idea and more or less conversant with the VPN world, here’s the gist of our findings. However, those readers looking for more in-depth information can find it in the following sections.
Here are the best bank account VPNs.
- ExpressVPN. The most significant reputation in the VPN-verse also delivers the goods for this task.
- Private Internet Access. A privacy champion with a track record supported by court cases.
- NordVPN. A top-notch VPN for almost every task out there is also great for banking.
- Surfshark. A budget-friendly option that will give you almost the same perks like the best VPNs.
- CyberGhost. The friendliest options for VPN rookies.
Why do you need a VPN for safe online banking?
With the increasing online risks, taking steps to protect yourself from various online threats is essential. Falling victim to cyber threats can have devastating outcomes, such as losing your savings and identity theft. In online banking theft, cyber criminals’ most common methods to access your bank accounts include phishing scams, spoofing, and man-in-the-middle attacks.
Of course, most banks have done their best to boost their online security measures. We’ve seen the integration of 2FA verification options, such as one-time passwords and authenticator apps, into their systems. However, these options alone are not a means to an end to protecting your online banking. You still need to go an extra step by using a VPN to improve your security and privacy. A VPN protects your online banking by doing the following:
- Securing your internet connection: A VPN transmits your internet connection through an encrypted tunnel. Public Wi-Fi’s often unsecured and vulnerable, which puts your private information in great danger. However, a VPN creates a secure tunnel for your sensitive data to pass through, thus protecting it from attackers and eavesdroppers.
- Anonymize your online activity: By tunneling your network through various servers, VPNs ensure they anonymize your online activity by hiding your IP address. A concealed IP address makes it challenging for cybercriminals to track your activity. Anonymity is essential when accessing your online banking services as it prevents third parties from intercepting your login details and other credentials.
- Encrypt your internet traffic: When using a VPN, all the data transmitted to ISPs and websites is encrypted. This adds a layer of protection, thus protecting your sensitive information, such as credit card information and login details, for bad doers.
- Provide extra security features: Reliable VPNs offer additional security features such as double encryption, a kill switch, malware blockers, and no logs policy. These features boost your overall online security.
- Geo-blocking restrictions: If you’re traveling to a foreign country, accessing your bank account can be difficult due to geographic restrictions. You can connect to a server in your home country using a VPN and access your bank account as if you were still there. VPNs, therefore, improve convenience and allow you to always stay on top of your finances.
Using a VPN to access online banking services is a good practice to protect sensitive information from cyber threats. However, ensure you choose a reputable VPN provider, follow best practices for online security, and regularly monitor your bank accounts for any suspicious activity.
5 best VPNs for banking in 2023 – Detailed list
Now that you know how a VPN protects your digital banking, let’s move on to the best VPNs for bank transactions.
But before we advise you on that, let us remind you about some basic security facts.
A VPN is probably the essential tool you can have to secure your digital experience. But it’s not the only thing you need; it doesn’t do everything. There is no silver bullet in the digital security world. It would be best to have a good antivirus suite and a password manager. Otherwise, the security holes your VPN fixes still leave other holes around your system that an intruder could exploit to harm you. Digital security is always about the integral approach.
So now, let’s go ahead and talk about the best five VPNs you could consider using to have a safe digital banking life.
Known for speed and reliability, ExpressVPN is the perfect choice for online banking, online payments, and sharing sensitive data without fearing snoopers.
- Blazing fast speed
- Unblocks streaming sites and other restricted content
- Tremendous cross-platform compatibility
- Robust security and privacy features
- Relatively costly
ExpressVPN has a network of fast and reliable servers globally. In addition, it offers state-of-the-art security protocols with military-grade encryption. It also includes additional security features such as a kill switch. Moreover, it’s good enough to support smooth video streaming.
This provider has been playing the VPN game at the highest level for a long time, acquiring the best reputation. As a result, it’s an excellent option regardless of the task you want to protect with your VPN. Fortunately, it seems to be especially well-suited for banking.