The YouTube experience is not the same everywhere. Videos available to people in the US may vary slightly from those outside the US due to the geo-locking restrictions. Sometimes, content creators or YouTube restrict which local audience can see their videos to comply with licensing regulations and local laws.
Typically, videos that are not available in your location will not show up on your feed. But, if you encounter such content, you might get one of these two error messages:
- “This video is not available in your country.”
- “The uploader has not made this video available in your country.”
Using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) helps you hide your IP address, network identity, and location from YouTube. Instead, VPN gives you a decoy IP address and location, allowing you to evade geo-locking restrictions to access video content that would otherwise be unavailable in your area.
While many VPNs offer unique offers, the best VPNs for YouTube and TV ensure you can also have a high-speed connection and identity security while accessing geo-restricted content. We researched and highlighted the best VPN service for YouTube and YouTube TV based on their safety, speed, and reliability.
Best VPNs for YouTube and YouTube TV – Quick list
Check out this summary of the best VPNs for YouTube and YouTube TV if you’re short on time.
- ExpressVPN – A pocket-friendly VPN with an easy-to-use interface and high-speed servers across 94 countries, including privacy and security features to protect your personal data.
- Private Internet Access (PIA) – It has access to numerous international servers, enabling you to watch your YouTube content from any location. PIA allows you to simultaneously use one VPN account subscription on up to 10 devices.
- NordVPN – An ultra-fast VPN suitable for less secure Wi-Fi connections. It secures your personal information, hides your browsing history and online identity, and encrypts your internet connection.
- Surfshark – It features a stable and high-speed worldwide connection with servers in 100 countries. Surfshark has an ad and malware blocker, robust security features, and unlimited device connections.
- CyberGhost – An excellent VPN service with strong encryption that guarantees privacy while hiding your location from YouTube and YouTube TV.
Who should use YouTube VPN?
Some YouTube videos are limited only to a certain region or country. Any attempt to access such videos outside the allowed region is blocked, but you can use a VPN to get around this. For instance, you may not be unable to access videos by a British niche artist outside the UK.
However, you can use a VPN and connect to a server in the UK. Your connection will look like it’s coming from within the UK, so you can comfortably enjoy videos only available in Britain.
What should you do if YouTube is blocked in your school, workplace, or public Wi-Fi? The best solution is to use a VPN. Once connected to a VPN, your network administrator cannot know which websites you have visited. Moreover, any YouTube user who wants to access a video blocked by the ISP can use a VPN. It is important to note that it cannot help you access YouTube videos taken down due to copyright infringement or violating community guidelines.
Why should I use a VPN for YouTube?
- Improve your online security: A VPN uses sophisticated technologies to protect your online privacy and security. This ensures no one can track or monitor your online activities.
- Remove video Ads: Modern VPNs have effective ad-blockers that allow you to stream videos without interruptions. A VPN may be a cheaper alternative to YouTube Premium.
- Access geo-restricted content: You can access videos from all over the world using the internet without encountering the annoying error that the content is unavailable in your location.
- Unblock YouTube in school or place of work: Companies and schools block YouTube on their networks for employees and students can be more productive. However, a VPN allows you to unblock YouTube from any location.
- Access YouTube from any Country: YouTube and social media applications are banned in some countries, such as China and North Korea. You, therefore, need a quality VPN to bypass these censorships.
How to watch YouTube with a VPN
Follow these simple steps to use YouTube with a VPN:
1. Select a VPN provider
Before selecting a VPN software, consider its speed, security, and device compatibility, among other factors. We have dedicated a section below to provide more in-depth details and tips for selecting a VPN.