VPN adoption has been on the rise recently, and daily, more people are seeing the need for its service and are adopting it. From 2021 to 2022, VPN downloads exceeded a total of one billion, although adoption and download rates vary by country.
Countries with internet restrictions may ban social media applications and websites and employ other censorship. Others, such as Spain, have also formed or joined data alliances and have promised to share citizens’ and residents’ data and criticisms.
If you’re in Spain and want to protect your data and privacy, we recommend using a high-quality VPN with enhanced security features and fast servers.
This article comprehensively analyzes the best VPNs to use in Spain and sheds light on common issues.
The best 5 VPNs for Spain – Quick list
Below are short descriptions of our top Spain VPNs:
- ExpressVPN – An ultrafast VPN properly optimized for different devices and operating systems. It has servers in two locations in Spain, enabling you to stream any desired content.
- Private Internet Access (PIA) – A lightweight VPN with affordable activation and subscription fees. Despite its low cost, PIA offers features found in more expensive VPNs and it also prioritizes user security and privacy.
- NordVPN – With over 5,500 high-speed servers in more than 60 countries, Nord is a household name in the VPN industry. It has over 60 servers in Spain and features advanced security features for maximum protection.
- Surfshark – The VPN’s 3,200+ rapid servers let you stream high-quality videos up to 4K resolution. It features a no-logs policy, preventing snoopers from stealing your data and using them for incriminating purposes.
- IPVanish – A secure and reliable VPN that masks your online identity and helps you bypass geo-restrictions. It features WireGuard, the latest advancement in VPN technology that fosters provides better security, handles network changes better and consumes less data.
How we selected the best VPNs for Spain – Our methodology
Numerous VPNs help you access Spanish content but differ in quality, server quantity, and efficiency. If you’re searching for the best VPNs for Spain, conducting a random search online may not be the most effective way to determine which to choose.
Our list of the best VPNs is based on sufficient research, tests, and user reviews about each one. We also considered specific criteria in selecting these VPNs, which we explain below.
1. Multiple Spanish servers
We first considered the number of servers these VPNs have and how many are in Spain. Servers directly influence connection speed because the more they are, the lesser the traffic congestion and the faster the internet.
A VPN also needs servers in a particular location to access its content. For example, if you want to stream Spanish shows and movies from the US, you need VPNs with servers in Spain that can provide Spanish IP addresses.
Private Internet Access has 126 servers in different locations across the country, NordVPN has over 60, and IPVanish has 34 servers in Madrid and Valencia. ExpressVPN and Sursfhark have an unspecified number of servers in Spain, but these are available in important cities, including Madrid, Barcelona, and Valencia.
A fast VPN enables you to download videos and files and watch videos and shows without any buffers or lags. This significantly improves your browsing and internet experience.
After several tests, the VPNs in our list recorded download speeds greater than 100Mbps. Sometimes, download speeds can get 400+Mbps, but it mostly hovers around 100 to 150Mbps.