Japan is one of the most technologically advanced countries in the world. In fact, it has a high internet penetration rate. Fortunately, government censorship and surveillance are minimal compared to neighbors like China, Russia, and North Korea.
However, there are stringent laws that prohibit downloading copyrighted content. Also, the Act on the Protection of Specially Designated Secrets does not clearly define what national secrets are. This is why you should consider using a Virtual Private Network (VPN). It will conceal your actual IP address and encrypt your connections so that no one can track your online activities.
Apart from preserving your anonymity and security, a VPN is helpful in many different ways. For instance, it will help you bypass geo-restrictions of popular streaming sites and services. Also, you can connect to servers in other countries to save money on shopping and flight tickets.
In this guide, we’ll show you how to choose the best Japan VPNs, how to get a Japanese IP address when abroad, and much more.
The best Japan VPNs – The quick list
We will look more at each service, but here is a summary of the best VPNs for Japan if you are short on time:
- NordVPN – The best VPN to bypass Japan content geo-restrictions. It has more than 5,149 servers worldwide, including 80+ in Japan. Also, it offers AES 256-bit encryption, split tunneling, kill switch, and CyberSec adblocker.
- Surfshark – Affordable VPN for Japan. It comes with one server in Japan, AES 256-bit encryption, CleanWeb ad blocker, camouflage mode, unlimited simultaneous connections, and more features.
- ExpressVPN – Fastest VPN for Japan. It operates over 3,000 servers globally, with 3 in Japan. Some of the features you will get include MediaStreamer, no-logs policy, AES 256-bit encryption, split tunneling, and kill switch.
- PrivateVPN – Safe VPN for Japan. The VPN offers essential VPN features such as 128/256-bit encryption, no-logs policy, DNS leak protection, and unblocks streaming sites.
- IPVanish – User-friendly VPN for Japan. It has helpful features such as unlimited simultaneous connections, AES 256-bit encryption, kill switch, DNS leak protection, and fast-speed servers.
Things to consider when choosing the best Japan VPNs
A reliable VPN should be able to keep you safe and anonymous as well as help you bypass geo-restrictions effortlessly. Here are some of the factors to look out for before you settle on a particular VPN service.
Select a VPN with an extensive network with servers placed in strategic locations like the US, France, and of course, Japan. In addition, it should also offer a wide variety of shared and recycled IP addresses to keep you completely private.
Besides Japan, having servers in other countries will enable you to access more content on sites such as BBC iPlayer and Netflix. Also, by connecting to a local server, you can stream domestic blocked content at high speed. Usually, a nearby server produces better speed than an international one.
A reliable VPN should safeguard your data and traffic from snoopers like your ISP, government, and hackers. So, look out for security features like AES encryption, kill switch, DNS leak protection, perfect forward secrecy, and advanced tunneling protocols. This will keep you safe when browsing, streaming, torrenting, and using public WiFi.