Although, South Korea’s reputation for internet censorship is not as notorious as the UAE or China. However, the national culture emphasizes respect for authority and other Confucian values. Consequently, some authoritarian measures have plagued the country for decades, and they reach internet access.
So if you are using the internet from South Korea and want to guarantee your freedom as a digital citizen, you’ll need an additional tool–the VPN.
VPNs are digital platforms that perform two services for their users: total traffic encryption and IP address spoofing. The encryption scrambles the data stream that carries your digital activities so that no third party (governments included) can make sense of anything you do. The IP address masking hides your physical location, so third parties can’t tell where you are.
This second service has exciting and beneficial effects when immersed in a censored internet environment. VPNs allow you to bypass country-wide restrictions that your government imposes, to use the internet as a free user. Likewise, it also helps you retain access to services such as US Netflix, the BBC, or others while traveling away from the US or the UK.
This article tells you all about the best five VPNs to use from within South Korea if you want to retain the freedom and versatility that your internet experience affords you at home.
Top South Korean VPNs – Quick list
If you’re in a hurry and can’t manage to read the complete guide, here we shortlist our top five choices. Readers interested in learning more about each network can keep reading and find extensive information later in this guide.
- ExpressVPN: The best VPN you can use in South Korea is secure, private, and fast, and it unblocks almost every streaming service out there.
- NordVPN: With more options than almost every VPN in the industry and state-of-the-art technology, NordVPN is sure to satisfy.
- Surfshark: A young but disruptive service in the VPN world does the trick of meeting the highest standards at the lowest prices.
- Private Internet Access: As the name suggests, prioritizing privacy is a VPN with an extensive server network that keeps no logs.
- IPVanish: Good service and privacy, fast connections, ten concurrent devices.
The five best VPN vendors for South Korea in 2022 – Detailed list
The VPN market is overcrowded because it has exploded over the last few years. Every vendor claims to be the best, but only a handful can meet their promises. With so many options online, how can you choose the one that delivers your desired features, especially if you are in South Korea?