Our current world is so incredibly interconnected that even the boldest Sci-Fi writers of the past had never imagined it. The internet is, of course, the means of this interconnectedness. And on the internet, everything is built from the information that human users provide — even if they don’t mean to. Yes, we mean you, specifically.
Your own private or work-related information is out there. And it could always fall into the wrong hands unless you do something about it. That means taking matters into your own hands and encrypting all the data you don’t want available to the world. This guide describes the best free encryption software available today. Using these tools will help you take a proactive stance regarding your own data and safety.
Top five free encryption tools on the internet – The quick list
- Windows Bitlocker – A reliable encryption tool already bundled with every Windows after version ten.
- VeraCrypt – The preferred option of experts who need their encryption done with the best-audited tool in the industry. Available in every operating system.
- NordVPN – If security is on your mind, a good VPN service is essential. (By good, we mean you have to pay for it and never use free VPNs). NordVPN is the best VPN out there because of its power, versatility, and reliability.
- BCArchive – Among the myriad of Windows-based free encryption tools, BCArchive stands out because of its tremendous flexibility regarding encryption algorithms.
- PixelCryptor – This tool’s unique approach to key encryption and password management makes it one of the best, combining innovation with practicality.