An antivirus is a great tool for protection against malware and other computer viruses. Your device faces tons of threats even if you only use it to post on social media or watch funny videos. This is regardless of the fact that many modern operating systems have anti-malware features. That is why you need to install a reliable third-party solution.
There is an option of a free antivirus if you are on a budget. Unfortunately, many free programs have limitations like lack of password managers, parental controls, VPN, real-time protection, etc. So we did extensive research and testing for ease of use, malware detection, and extra cybersecurity features to compile a list of the top providers that actually work.
In this article, we present you with the best free antivirus applications, factors to consider when choosing an antivirus, and much more.
Top free antivirus software – The quick list
- Avira – Our overall best free antivirus. It has impressive features such as ransomware, web, and system protection.
- TotalAV – Easy-to-use package with essential features such as comprehensive smart scan and safe site extension.
- Kaspersky – Established brand that uses artificial intelligence to detect and eliminate malware. Also, real-time protection is free.
- Sophos Home – It provides malware and web protection. In addition, it allows you to manage devices remotely.
- Malwarebytes – This is a lightweight antivirus solution that won’t affect your device’s performance.
- Bitdefender – Its real-time protection feature will protect you against various cybersecurity threats. Also, it offers multiple options to contact customer support.
- Panda – It has a sleek but user-friendly interface. In addition, it has real-time malware protection and periodic system scans.