Many people think the built-in firewall that their Windows, Android, iOS, and other operating systems have is enough. Although that is not the case.
But do not worry. You need no extra cash for additional firewall software; there are some best free firewalls you can install.
However, before you get your hands on top-notch free firewall programs, it would be best to cover the basics first.
Why do you need a firewall?
A firewall is software or hardware that prevents hackers and certain types of malware from gaining remote access to a computer over the world wide web.
Its purpose is to verify information received from the Internet or a local network and block or allow computer access.
The firewall is not the same as an antivirus or anti-malware program.
Firewall programs protect against internet worms and hacker attacks, while anti-virus programs provide protection against viruses (as the name suggests), and anti-malware applications shield your device against malicious programs.
You need a firewall if you have a computer connecting to the Internet. As simple as that (given that you value your online projection).
Think of a firewall as a barrier between the data on your computer and the outside world; it is a kind of door lock for your home, office, or vehicle.
Even if you have spyware and anti-virus trackers and keep your computer up to date, someone could still access your information if you do not have a firewall installed.
In its recently conducted study, MaketsandMarkets predicted the market of Network Security Firewalls to grow to 5.3 billion USD by the year 2023.
No market cannot grow that much without some practical reasons. There are many reasons for the Firewall Market’s growth.
However, most people use firewall protection to safeguard their important data or sensitive information.
And you must understand that you are at high risk of getting your information stolen if you do not have a quality firewall program installed.
Quick Guide: Top 5 free firewall software
- Peerblock — This enables you to block the entire list of IPs, is Open Source, and blocks pop-ups and ads from sites.
- ZoneAlarm — Boasts anti-phishing and safe document download features and offers free 5G cloud backup.
- TinyWall — An entirely free lightweight firewall software with no annoying pop-ups or ads.
- Comodo — Offers a fast and hassle-free online experience, blocks all kinds of cyber attacks, and is a go-to product for cybersecurity novices.
- Sophos XG Firewall Home Edition — Totally free home version, it supports many other Sophos-backed products, and boasts an excellent collection of features.
How? ‘Or’ What?
The question ‘What can people steal from your device‘ has a lot of answers.
It is important to know how it can happen; let’s cover some ways someone can access your system.