A VPN is a great security tool that will protect your connections to the internet. It will introduce an encryption protocol to secure your data and conceal your IP address to maintain anonymity. For instance, you can be in the UK, but the VPN can make you look like you are browsing from Australia.
However, VPNs’ encryption and firewalls that keep you safe can sometimes work against you, too, like blocking connections. Luckily, port forwarding is a great technique to get around these issues. Unfortunately, only a handful of VPNs support port forwarding, although it is an excellent way to customize your network and improve speeds. Read on to know the best port forwarding VPNs.
Short overview of the top VPNs that support port forwarding
- ExpressVPN – Our top recommendation VPN with port forwarding. It does not support port forwarding but lets you configure it on your router. Also, it offers robust security and privacy features to safeguard your internet connections and maintain your privacy.
- Private Internet Access (PIA) – The most extensive VPN server network in the industry. It supports port forwarding, and all the servers have P2P with SOCKS5 proxy, making it great for torrenting.
- PrivateVPN – Best secure VPN with port forwarding. It has dedicated port-forwarding and P2P servers. While the server network is small, the VPN can unblock some streaming services.
- PureVPN – Reliable budget-friendly VPN with port forwarding. You will get value for your money as the provider operates an extensive server network.
- IVPN – A less popular VPN but offers a port forwarding feature. Also, it is open-source software and is compatible with all major devices.
Using a VPN that boasts the port forwarding feature
It is straightforward to use a VPN with port forwarding. Just follow the easy-to-follow steps below:
- Get a VPN with port forwarding and subscribe.
- Download the appropriate app for your device and install it.
- Find the provider’s guide on enabling port forwarding on your device.
- Now you can use port forwarding to play online games, download torrents, or access virtual machines and devices remotely.
Best VPN providers with port forwarding
Most VPNs don’t boast port forwarding support. So, it is a daunting task to find a reliable service. Luckily, we have made it easier for you and compiled the top 5 VPNs offering port forwarding today.
The best VPN with port forwarding. It has strong privacy and security features, hence becoming perfect for torrenting and other intensive activities.
- Unblocks virtually all the streaming sites
- Robust security and privacy
- Easy to install and use
- The packages are a bit expensive
Essentially, ExpressVPN does not support forwarding on its apps. Fortunately, the VPN allows you to activate port forwarding on the router as long as you have an ExpressVPN router v2 or v1. Therefore, you have to install the ExpressVPN v2 or v1 firmware or purchase an ExpressVPN-compatible router.
On a positive note, using ExpressVPN (or any other VPN) on a router will enable port forwarding on unlimited devices. ExpressVPN supports five simultaneous connections by default, but installing it on a router means you can use as many devices as you want.
The VPN comes with multiple advanced features to keep you safe and anonymous online. For example, the AES 256-bit encryption will block third parties from intercepting your traffic or stealing your data. Also, it has an automatic kill switch and DNS leak protection to prevent your private data from leaving the encrypted channel. Moreover, it observes a strict no-logs policy that reputable firms like PwC and Cure53 have independently audited the claims.
ExpressVPN runs more than 3,000 servers in over 94 countries. This will enable you to bypass geographic restrictions and access blocked websites and apps. For instance, Peacock TV is only available in the US, but the VPN will enable you to access it from anywhere. Thankfully, ExpressVPN also works well with other popular streaming services like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, Hulu, etc. In addition, the servers offer high-speed servers, so you will be able to stream content in high-definition.
2. Private Internet Access (PIA)
The service allows port forwarding with many other incredible features, an extensive server network, and fast-speed connections.
- Extensive server network
- Solid privacy and security
- 24/7 live chat support
- Some of the servers are unreliable
Private Internet Access (PIA) is the best VPN with port forwarding capability. It offers this feature on Windows, macOS, Android, and Linux. Fortunately, activating port forwarding is straightforward through the app’s settings. In addition, the VPN will show you the servers that support port forwarding after enabling it.
Speaking of servers, PIA is one of the most extensive networks in the industry, with more than 29,650 servers in over 80 countries. According to the company, all non-US servers support port forwarding.