Are you looking for a comprehensive VPNBook review after discovering this free VPN service for the first time? You’ve come to the right place.
Many internet users naturally distrust free VPNs because they have inferior security protections. But that does not mean all free VPN providers offer poor services. So, can you trust VPNBook for your online privacy? Let’s find out!
- Pricing: VPNBook offers 100% free VPN service and VPNBook proxy access.
- Bandwidth limit: VPNBook does not limit the data usage for the users.
- Servers: VPNBook has only 16 servers in six locations that include popular countries such as the United States (US), the United Kingdom (UK), Germany, France, and Poland.
- Security: VPNBook says it uses the best encryption techniques, including AES-256 and AES-128, but they are not enough to encrypt data properly, in our experience. Also, the VPN provider logs users’ IP addresses, raising significant security concerns.
- Leak Test: The VPN passed the leak test as it doesn’t exhibit IP address and WebRTC leaks but lacks Domain Name System (DNS) protection.
- Speed: VPNBook is not a fast VPN. We experienced a significant decline in download and upload speeds while connected to VPNBook on various devices.
- Streaming: VPNBook is not a good option for unblocking geo-restricted content on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and other popular streaming networks. It can only unblock restrictions on free websites such as Facebook, YouTube, and X (formerly Twitter).
- Compatibility: VPNBook is not a regular VPN service with a custom app for different devices. However, you can configure the service on your device using OpenVPN, Outline VPN, or PPTP.
- Jurisdiction: VPNBook is based in Switzerland, which is good considering the country is not part of the 14 Eyes Alliance that shares intelligence.
- Trustworthiness & Customer Support: We couldn’t find VPNBook on Trustpilot, meaning we couldn’t tell what users were saying about it. Also, Reddit users do not trust the VPN service. It offers an email address for customer support, but we didn’t get a reply when we sent a query.